Monday, September 2, 2013

Another new habit Monday!

The new habit this week is to eat some lean protein with every meal.  Finally, a return to concrete, measurable, did-I-or-didn't-I habits!  Whew.  It's nice to be concentrating on something that doesn't take as much brain power and mental acrobatics to be successful.

This habit will be more of a logistical challenge than anything else -- doing the planning to make sure that I have some lean protein available for all of my meals.  A year or so ago, I started upping my protein intake -- or, at least, being mindful of trying to get more protein -- so I'm thinking that this won't be all that difficult for me.  It helps that I like almost all of the good sources of protein, from chicken to eggs and beans and fish.  And I'm looking forward to trying out a new recipe that I ran across for homemade turkey jerky (this recipe will wait for cooler weather, though... no sense in having my oven on for 6-10 hours when I'm paying for air-conditioning).

Of course, the previous habits just don't get thrown out the window; while my happy, I'm-compliant green checkmark no longer depends on me eating slowly and eating to 80% full, I still have to keep implementing those habits. Seeing as how these are dubbed The Two Super Habits, this shouln't come as a huge shock to anyone.  The Super Habits (I like thinking of them in superhero costumes somehow) will work in conjunction with the new lean protein habit -- by having more lean protein on the plate (which will ideally displace something else that I was eating), I'll feel more satisfied after meals, even with only eating to 80%. That's what's supposed to happen, at least.

On a side note, the first habit -- taking fish oil and probiotic -- has been brought down to smaller quantities:  1 tsp of fish oil and a normal dose of the probiotic.  Everything I've been reading lately has been touting the awesomeness of these two things, but I have to say that I don't really notice any difference after having taken both for 6 weeks.  Oh well - it can't hurt, right?

So - onward!  Another 2-week habit to learn and master!

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I've not noticed a big difference w/ the fish oil and probiotic and I've also had to work to plan ahead to make sure I have protein sources with me at every meal.

    ReplyDelete